Monday, February 26, 2007

waking up drunk after...

this morning i woke up still drunk
after an evening of trying to wrap myself in the night
it was so close, just a matter of mere seconds
but in that span of time preoccupations intervened
probably for the better
but, really just for amusement's sake
see i've spent so much of my time chasing the sunshine at daybreak
i've been burned by the rays, so
now i only come out when the starlit shroud of the evening surrounds me
holding onto the ink black canopy of the midnight sky and smiling
intoxicated on the scent of it
almost like the breeze rolling in off the moonlit tides carries sweeter perfume
and new webs waiting to entangle wait psat every block
last night was a bottle of truth serum
two hours and then some of distraction
a moment of playful bickering between friends
and several sentences of honesty served up straight
this is not some poem of reprehension looking back on my loosened tongue and regretting it
this is just for clarification
i spoke of a time less cluttered
we both spoke of bad timing
without one another's ears close by to be filled
we've spoken of wanting; i don't need to have been near you to know this
and, probably because the same bottle that opened the flood gates of my truth last night still flows through me, i don't need to be with you when the day finally breaks and you blink drowsily at the starting of the sun and...
miss me?
want me?
or just wonder what might have been if the hands of the clock would allow us to just be...
what? together?
doubtful; more like fitfully involved
perpetually intertwined in confusion mixed with the sweetest of wine, words
and exchanged glances
this is not a love poem, because i'm not in love with you
i'm just in "it" with you
the same problem you face each day with, each night we spend together convincing ourselves it's just friendship
and maybe then some...
but nothing more
whatever that means
when you figure it out, keep it a secret
let me slip past the fill line of shot glasses overpoured with honesty
sucking lime slices like they'll keep my lips puckered and shut
no words to flow past them
no sentences to make this any more amusing than it already is
because, for some reason, we find this situation to be funny
when really our fingertips and tongues ache for more than we'll allow ourselves
last night i presented myself as bolder than even i expected
and you, more honest than i recall you ever being
open bottles and emptied glasses bring truth in large doses
drink it back and start speaking a mile a minute
like the faster it gets out the more blurred the lines of understanding are
it didn't work for us last night, though
straddling me, enticing, smiling, laughing
running fingertips down my chest and staring into my eyes, drunk
but yet sober enough to exchange that thought we both had running through our minds
a mile a minute
stop staring at me in such a way that makes me want to let loose more than just my sobriety, please
this game we play isn't killing me, but it's starting to fray the seams of my patience
i keep telling myself the rules have been written and not to stray outside of them
but, one night, regardless of what may lie across state borders waiting for you
i'm going to take what you so badly want to give
and, from that night on, i'm never giving it back
i'll keep that piece of the night behind my smile
waiting for you to steal it back with a kiss

No comments: